US Wellness

Monday, March 11, 2013

Old Pix

I am a big believer in the idea that "things happen for a reason."  I apply this logic to everything and in that way even the ugliest of events has usually led to something good in my life.  For instance, in undergrad I took a seemingly normal babysitting job for the summer.  The young girl (had Autism, but it was un-diagnosed at the time) had the worst behavior problems and there were many a day I went home in tears wondering why I couldn't handle her very well.  Looking back, it might be one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had.  But, I went to the chair of our psych department to see if I could learn more about her condition and behavior problems and she pointed me to a Learning class offered that fall.  I enrolled and 9 years later ....several undergrad classes....a master's degree in Behavior Analysis and Therapy....and 2 jobs....I help people with autism to communicate more effectively and to build on their skill deficits.  I love what I do and I can't imagine doing anything else.  :)

I am nostalgic.  If you've ever been to my apartment or better yet, my bedroom at my parents house you'll know that I have hundreds of pictures.  Permanent reminders of memories that I have from high school, college, grad school, vacations and etc.  These pictures are some of my most prized possessions because just looking at them can take me back to those times and those feelings and those friends....if I've happened to have lost touch.  Yesterday I was having trouble deleting some less meaningful photos off my phone and somehow in the process ended up downloading Picasa onto my computer (thinking I could do it from my synced desktop).  I am unsure of how this happened, but when it was importing all the photos on my hard drive hundreds of lost college, grad school, and high school photos showed up.  It was Christmas.  I probably spent 2 hours last night looking through them and emailing some of the more special (and also embarrassing/hilarious) photos to people I love.  It was exact therapy I needed after a week of being sick and a couple of "off" days.  Had I not been trying to get rid of photos I no longer wanted or needed I would have never stumbled across these.  It all happens for a reason. ;) 

Because I cannot resist to do this I'm going to share some of my favorites.  I really could have posted 100, but here's 16 good ones.


 Technical writing project group who had to drink together after completing some horrible assignment.  
 Becky, one of my best friends in San Antonio
 Some of the best nights of my life were with these guys! (I'm not sure where Brett was for this pic?)
 :) 
 My dad and I after my college graduation.
 Fourth of July.....2005? 
 Love this picture!  Halloween 2005 - my BFF
 The savior of my first summer in Carbondale when I didn't know anyone! 
 Laura and I - we probably have 100 horribly embarrassing photos of just us.  
 Flip Cup @ AEPi
 Girls @ Gorman's
 Probably one of my fav photos ever - Brandon (a friend from back in high school....Dave, a friend I met in Carbondale who I am still really close with....and Maya and Sarah 2 good friends from SIU....all in the same pic.
 Some crazy Halloween in Carbondale
 Coachlight Love.  
 Before the Law School formal dance @ SIU
 Salukis

Alright, so I've been a week away from the gym.  First with the flu and then the subsequent cold that I had over the weekend.  Grrr.  I'm gonna go tonight and do something....even though I'm not 100%.  Quick paleo update....going great!  I did eat my weight in almond butter one day, but no harm - no foul! :)  I was 133 yesterday, which is normal. 

Happy Monday everyone!

Post Gym Workout Update:
So I had it in my mind that I was gonna do a modified 13.1 (its the first games workout this year...google it)  last week.  Getting sick clearly put a stop to that but I decided that tonight was as good as any.  I knew that I was gonna have to pick a weight and stick to it since there'd be no one to switch out stuff for me.  I also decided that I'd probably have to cut the reps in half because I am still coughing and have a bit of a stuffy nose.  

Here's what I did: 

20 burpees
15 snatches @ 27 lbs.
15 burpees
10 snatches @ 27 lbs.
10 burpees
10 snatches @ 27 lbs
5 burpees
1 snatch from the ground....the rest were from the hang b/c I thought that seemed like it would be harder.  

All that took me about 15 mins....which is slow, but not that bad all things considered.  I was sufficiently tired.

After that I ran a mile.  I had a hard time regulating my breath so I was about 1.3 miles in 11 mins.  

Tomorrow I will go to yoga and try to get some running in if I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment