US Wellness

Monday, January 14, 2013

First Spaghetti Squash

Can we just take a quick second to acknowledge my small cooking accomplishment of making a spaghetti squash and sauce?  ........................ ok.  :)  ....Wait.....another small pause for it being edible?! ............................and......we're good! Thanks!!

I decided that it was safe to go back to the gym today and my attitude was also in line for doing that.  I thought it might be a good idea to dig out my old WCCF log book and see where I was with weights when I first started and maybe to try to mimic those percentages.  That was probably a good idea because things went much, much better today.  I took another couple of videos and I think they look better.  I'll post them below.  Can someone let me know if they don't work....because they work for me when I click on them.

I started with back squatting.  When I looked back I was absolutely shocked that I was able to max out early on at around 100 lbs.  I assumed that since that was after virtually zero lifting in my past that I could start around 65 lbs for my 55%.  


  • Set 1:  65 lbs x 5 reps - This felt a little harder than I wanted it to, but I gritted through them in a row.
  • Set 2:  65 lbs x 5 reps - The second time I knocked out 5 of these it felt much better and much easier.  I noticed that I still have a little sway when I'm standing up, but I think my right leg will even out and that will go away.  
  • Set 3:  70 lbs x 5 reps - These went pretty well, but I couldn't do all 5 in a row.  I had to break it up and shake my legs out after each rep.  (Something to work on.)
I could tell that my legs were tired after this so I didn't push it with more reps.  I didn't want to fail today because I thought that I needed to maintain my confidence after Friday.  Okay, so far ....Erica 1, Squats 0  :)

I wasn't sure what to do next, but I thought that maybe I would snatch and keep the good vibes coming.  I must say, I was really happy with how things went.  Bare with me....they're low weights, though.  

  • Set 1:  17 lbs x 5 reps
  • Set 2:  21 lbs x 5 reps
  • Set 3:  27 lbs x 5 reps
  • Set 4:  32 lbs x 5 reps
This is a video from set 4.  



Food was decent today.  I don't think my sauce or the chai latte I had was entirely paleo *wink wink*, but that's okay.  I had some chicken and half a sweet potato for lunch.  I also had some apple slices.  For dinner I had the spaghetti squash with meat sauce.

Pics tomorrow when I get up.  :)  I promise!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment