US Wellness

Monday, January 28, 2013

Gluten Sensitive??

Could I be gluten intolerant?  I have never been to a doctor to determine if this is the case, however, I can with confidence say that keeping carbs and gluten out of my diet seems to work for me.  Eating paleo makes me run a little calorie deficient, but I don't thing that is the only thing that's helped change my body over the past year.  "Food babies" are virtually non-existent, I sleep better, and I feel less sluggish/tired.  

Yesterday, I ran across this article:  
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/10-signs-youre-gluten-intolerant.html

After reading this, I can't help but think that it has to be true.  Of the 10 items, I can easily say that 6-7 of them have changed since I changed my diet.  One interesting thing is the Keratosis Pilaris.  I suffered with this for years and I didn't think there was much I could do about it.  I had no idea that it was even tied to diet??  The interesting thing is that my skin is totally smooth now.  Additionally, I have been a sufferer of migraines since I was a freshman in college.   I still have them, but they have tended to be less severe in recent months.  The article mentions that gluten may affect hormone imbalances which is what my doctor attributed my migraines to, so perhaps that's being more regulated.  And finally, there is no "food coma" and fatigue after meals like there was before a heavy carb meal.  

So, in no way am I suggesting that this is something everyone should do.  I certainly know people who don't seem to be as negatively affected by carbs as me.  However, it works for me. I decided that I should do a lot of cooking tonight so that way I can start the paleo thing a couple days early.  I had been doing so well with prepping meals, but the holidays and life got in the way.  Recently I've been doing a lot of quick meals and eating a lot of scrambled eggs.  Tonight I made some chicken stir fry, baked brussel sprouts + onion, baked butternut squash with cinnamon, and a tri-tip roast with veggies (still in the crock pot).  Wow...I know.  :)  

Stay tuned this week because I'll post my weight and some measurements so I have something to compare them to at the end of February!

No comments:

Post a Comment