US Wellness

Monday, February 4, 2013

L is for Lifting :)

Lifting today was AWESOME!! Days like today are the motivation that keeps me wanting to do this.  First of all, I liked the look of the workout before I ever got to the gym - lots of fave things.  Second, I felt awesome lifting.  Everything was clicking.  I was pushing myself.  It just all around felt incredible. If I were to write a meme about it ....it would be a la Dos Equis guy....."I don't always leave the gym feeling like a total badass, but when I do I go home and blog about it immediately!"  ;)

Here was the workout:

Hang Snatch: 5 x 2 @ 65% of Snatch1RM

  • All sets done at 37 lbs.  This went great.  I snatched 37 lbs last week, but only once or twice.  I got this one 10 times and it was easy!!  I didn't video myself, but I have a feeling that since things are going up easier and easier that my form is on par.  This has always been my favorite lift because it just clicks.
Overhead Squat:  5 x 3 @ 75% of Snatch1RM
  • I did 4 of the 5 sets at 40 lbs.  The last set I added weight to get to 50 to see if I could do it.  I did the  3 squats with no problem. :)  So the cool thing about this is if I can OHS 50 lbs...that means I can probably snatch 50 lbs!! I'm not ready to give that a try, yet, but psychologically that feels amazing.  My last known 1RM for snatch was about 72 lbs/33kgs.  
Push Jerk/Split Jerk: 4 x 1.2 @ 65% of CJ1RM
  • So last week I gauged that 40lbs might be 75% of my 1RM, today I assumed it might be 65%.  I did 1 set at 40 lbs and it felt too easy.  I bumped myself up to 50 for the last 3.  I felt great!  I tried to move faster and make sure my timing helped me to get under the bar.  
  • Doing a little math (Wow, I know...I did math? all by myself? Shocking!) if 50 is truly my 65% then around 77 lbs should be my 1RM for now.  Previous 1RM was around 110 lbs/45kgs.  I could clean it, but I struggled with the jerk.  It was mostly a psychological thing I think because people would start watching me.  
Chin ups:  Max reps x 3 sets
  • I couldn't get this in because the rubberband was MIA.  I looked all over for it.  I may have to invest in one myself because that sucks.  It will be my intention to do pushups later at home to try to work on some tricep strength instead.
The food log for the day goes a little something like:
  • 1 cup of coffee w/ heavy cream
  • 2 scrambled eggs
  • 2 pc of uncured bacon
  • small portion of strawberries and kiwi
I would prefer not to talk about my food choices from yesterday.  My evening is a blur of buffalo chicken dip + chips, brownies, and Stella Artois. :)  

I don't have to go out today for work so I'm dressed like a slob kabob.  No picture necessary. :)

The only other big announcement I have is that I got a new roommate yesterday. :)  Here's a picture of him in the bathroom.  


....and here he is laying around on the couch helping me work....



His original name was Boo, but I'm trying out some other things to see how I feel.  I'm really leaning towards calling him Sharpie.  So far we're getting along great, except he thinks that I need to wake up a few times in the night to give him attention.  He will soon learn that I don't give a shit how cute you are....that is not acceptable!!! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment