US Wellness

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ode to Icy Hot

Well to follow up the awesome day I had lifting on Monday was a shitty day today!  GRRRR!!! It's great for my ego to work in this pattern that way I don't start thinking that I'm doing okay. ;)   As I type this I have an icy/hot patch on my right shoulder and I can tell that it's only going to get more sore as the night goes on.  I'm not exactly sure if the problem was that I didn't warm up enough or if I did something when I was snatching.

At any rate, here's the workout:

  • Snatch 5 x 2 @ 75% of 1RM
    • I warmed up and everything was feeling really good.  I did a couple of snatches at 27 lbs and I power snatched them without even trying.  I moved to 37 lbs and I "accidentally" power snatched that, too.  I'm not sure if it happened then, but I didn't notice it if it did.  I added 5 more lbs to do the workout sets.  When I went to do this I got the bar to about shoulder height and then I dropped it.  Something psyched me out.  I took off the other weights and went back down to 37 lbs.  I did 4 reps and by the 4th one my right shoulder in the socket was killing me. Time to stop.  :( 
  • Front Squat 3 x 5 @ 80% of 1RM
    • Looking back in my notebook my last front squat was at 65% and that was 60 lbs.  I did 1 set at 40 lbs to warm up and then jumped to 60 lbs, then 70 lbs, and then 75lbs.  I am having a little trouble not breaking the plane of my back as I'm coming up.  I am tending to dump the weight a little forwards and use my quads more than my glutes.  I really tried to focus hard on keeping my back straight and pushing up with the big muscles.  75 lbs was challenging but I didn't have to make any crazy noises to get it up so not that bad. :)  
  • RDL's 4 x 8 @ 65% of CJ1RM
    • I lifted a little heavy here and kept 70 lbs on the bar from when I was front squatting.  
  • 4 x 30 sec handstand hold 
    • No problems...although I'm sure I popped little blood vessels around my eyes per my usual with the handstand.  Good think I have 50 lbs of concealer on hand at all times because I am part raccoon in the mornings.  
  • 4 x max effort pushups in 30s 
    • I didn't do this because of my shoulder.  :(
  • I did break out my muay thai gloves and hit/kick around on the bag a little.  OMG, I am missing this!!  I think I'm going to have to start going to class again.  It felt really awesome to kick something and I'm sure I could use the release I get from it.  I'll have to try dropping in one day during the lunch class to get my fix.  

Yesterday was a rest day, no yoga.  I'm going to sign up for yoga for tomorrow in the am.  Also, I discovered that Nike opened a store on Armitage and that they are offering free classes every day for different things.  You can sign up for up to 4 classes a week - completely free - so I registered with the store.  Now, they don't have a ton of options for times, but for free?...I'll try it out for some variety.  I'm not sure how long this is going to go on so time to capitalized on it now.

A recap of food from yesterday:

Black Tea
Bison burger from DMK (no bun) + sweet potato fries
Salad from Chipotle (no dressing, fajita veggies, mild salsa, guac, and steak - no carnitas available)
2 bananas

A recap of food from today:

Coffee + heavy whipping cream
1 banana
grass-fed beef patty + mushrooms
brussel sprouts
dinner is TBD at this point

No comments:

Post a Comment