US Wellness

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The other things working against me

You always hear that, right?  What weight loss boils down to ultimately is that you have to burn off more than you take in.  In other words, your body has to run in caloric deficit.  I discovered an article yesterday (and of course, I can't find the link today when I want it) that suggested that that's only a piece of the weight loss puzzle.  Something that wasn't shocking to me is the interplay of hormones in weight loss.  It's 100000 times easier for guys to lose weight than it is for girls.  I swear, if Mark thinks to himself before bed "I'd like to wake up 3 lbs lighter" - HE DOES.  It is so f#@!ing not fair.  When I go to bed wanting to be 3 lbs lighter I usually wake up 2 lbs heavier - at least.  There's not much that I can do about hormones, however.  I'm sorta stuck with the composition that I was made with.

The article also talked about sleep.  Obviously we all know that we're supposed to get 8 hours.  I am still not coming anywhere close to that - on average.  I'm not sure how to get myself to wind down at 10 pm to go to bed.  It just seems that I have so much to do at night once I get home from work that that isn't entirely possible.  In the past few years I've streamlined my morning routine so that I'm efficient as possible and I can sleep as long as possible.  I'm sure it helped a little.  I've also started showering at night and then just re-wetting my hair in the morning hoping that that would give me some extra time.  The time added is nothing significant.  So, sleep continues to be one of the things I'll work on for this year.

STRESS.  It's a six letter word that dominates my life. If you know me you know this isn't a new thing.  I'm 100% Type A personality.  I worry about anything and everything.  Hell, I worry about worrying too much.  I think its going to be imperative that I work on this above all this year.  I don't want something like this causing any disruptions to me physically, mentally, or emotionally. 

Finally, the article touched on drinking water (another resolution).  I think I've been really sucking at this one, too.  I try to have water bottles around but I don't really seem to make dents in them during the day.  I know I could put myself on a little program where I reward myself for X amount of water drinking - but I'm sneaky and I'll find a way around my own simple program and also forgetful and I might not keep it up if I'm not motivated.  If anyone has any ideas for how I can make my water bottle more salient to me during the day or for increasining my drinking please feel free to share them.  I am a little stuck here. 

I guess what I'm getting here is when I start to plateau, which I assume will be sometime here this month or next for sure I am going to have to make other changes.  So, where to go from here? 

I hit up the 6:30 am wod today - mostly because I guilted myself into going.  I woke up at 5:55 am with my alarm and shut it off.  My first thought was, "No way in hell I'm getting out of this bed."  But then instead of drifting off to sleep, my mind said: "But you didn't go to the gym yesterday or the day before?,"  "You promised that you would get up today and go!,"  "If you don't go now you know you can't go tonight either," "Don't you want to be skinner by the end of February?"   Five minutes later I was out of bed and brushing my teeth.  I'd worn gym clothes to bed to make it out the door even faster. 

The WOD was good.  It entailed 6 rounds (as fast as possible):  2 pillar shuttles, 8 burpees, 10 chest to bar pull-ups.  I felt really good through the first 3 rounds.  My pull-ups, even though band assisted, were really solid.  Rounds 4-6 were slower and I found myself having to take a couple seconds of rest after every few pull-ups.  I did finish with 10 good chest to bar ones though.  So all in all, I'm glad I went. 

After CF, I made myself 2 eggs and I had an orange.  In the morning I snacked on some almonds.  For lunch and also afternoon snack I had some cocktail shrimp with a little bit of cocktail sauce.  When I felt hungry after lunch I finished up a few blueberries.  Dinner tonight is going to be lemon scallops. 

Before I sign off, I figured I'd share a question that Erinn asked me yesterday.  She said that it seems that we don't eat a lot of raw veggies or leafy greens.  Why was that?  Well, its because I think they taste disgusting right now.  Veggies are something that I need to eat more of.  I should be eating spinach salad, too.  An assignment for you all then ......find me a paleo salad dressing recipe that is worthy of putting on spinach or dipping veggies in and I'm all over that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment