US Wellness

Friday, February 10, 2012

Upcoming Anxiety

I don't want the title of the post to overshadow some good things that are happening at the gym (and I'll totally talk about those below), but first I am going to word vomit about some upcoming things that are going to interfere with paleo and CF. 
  • Next week I am going out of town for work from Wednesday - Friday.  I'll be visiting my parents' house on Friday night and staying until some point on Saturday.  This basically means that I'll be missing CF Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and then also on Sunday (open gym).  Its also going to be a struggle to eat paleo while I'm gone as there won't be a lot of options.  I'm going to have to really plan and bring snacks.  I'm sure it goes as no surprise that I feel that this is really going to screw up my month and stall progress. :\  
  • Mark is leaving for China on Thursday.  I hope to talk to him as often as I can until I see him when I go to China to visit(!!!!), but with us being 15 time zones apart my early morning is his bedtime. This equals skyping at the butt crack of dawn, when I already struggle with hours of sleep.  Obviously, I'm happy to get up to be able to talk to him and "see" him, but the planning for it will be hard. 
    • On a completely minor (and spoiled) note related to this - I will now have to make myself breakfast everyday. 
  • I'm also going to China as I just mentioned above so I'll have to deal with the hotel gym and who knows what kind of food options while I'm there and also traveling.  I should shut up about this though, right?  I'm. going. to. China.  I'll try to table this so I can maybe ....enjoy myself?
  • I had some more cheats last night after CF.  Mark and I went with a few new friends to Black Rock to get wings and hang out.  I was really excited to go, even knowing that I was going to cheat, because I really want this social aspect of the gym to take off.  I had wings, some tater tots, and a light pilsner beer.  As you can imagine, I'm feeling a bit guilty today.
I'm overreacting and I know this.  There's just so much going on at once right now that it seems very overwhelming.  I'm trying to be so dedicated to making these changes and I'm so impatient with results.  I don't want set backs because I know me and how it will effect my motivation.  However, I know there are good things and experiences to come of this, too.  Its just a matter of pushing those thoughts to the forefront and pushing the other things into the back of my mind - and keeping them there.

Let me switch over to the good things so I can end on that.

  • I set a goal of increasing my lifts by at least 10 lbs each.  I don't think that is going to be a problem at all.  Last nights lifts were really pretty good. 
    • Strict OH Press: 50% x 3, 60% x 3, 65% x 3, 70% x 3, 75% x 3
      • I started with 15kg and eventually I got to 27 kg.  That's about 60 lbs.  What's cool about that is that I failed on it last week.  This week I did it with triples.  :)
    • Snatch: 60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80% x 3, 90% x 3, 90% x 3, 80% x 3 
      • This also went pretty well.  I failed on my attempts when Mark was watching me, but that was just because he was watching me.  My 90% snatches were a little over 50lbs. or 24kg.  Last month I was at about 40 lbs.
    • Overhead Squat: 60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80% x 3, 90% x 3, 90% x 3, 80% x 3 
      • This is a lift I also really like.  My 90% attempts were at 68 lbs.  Last month that's what I predicted to be my 1RM.
    • Dead Hang Pull Ups: 5 sets of 5 reps – add weight each set
      • Pull-ups were probably the worst part of the workout.  I was still sore from the wod the other day.  I had to do them with the green band. Although I tried to get as high as possible while I still could so some were chest to bar.  I didn't add any weight.
  • Workouts seem easier.
  • I didn't really freak out last night when I failed on lifting attempts in front of people.
  • I haven't really had any crazy cravings since the cheats.  I worried that I might be "off the wagon" so to speak.
  • We are making friends at the gym.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment