US Wellness

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Somewhat discouraged lately....

I went to bed last night feeling a little discouraged about the whole paleo thing and Crossfit.  I get in this mood now and again that I don't make gains quickly enough and I get down on myself about it.  Last night was one of those nights and it continued into this morning.  As soon as I opened my eyes and knew it was Saturday, I thought, "ugh, I don't want to go,"  "what's the point?," and "I don't want to have to do clean and jerk today."  I knew it really wouldn't do me any good to complain because we were going no matter what, so I didn't.  I debated between doing the OLY wod or the regular wod, but eventually settled on the OLY one.  I worked with 2 girls today, who I've seen, but never met before.  They were really nice.  I think its probably good for me to do that for a number of reasons, but the "good jobs" after each lift are the best.  


The workout was similar to other things I've posted recently:


Snatch:  50% x 3, 60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80%x 3 (2 times), 70% x 3
Clean and Jerk: 50% x 3, 60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80%x 3 (2 times), 70% x 3
Front Squat: 50% x 3, 60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80%x 3 (2 times), 70% x 3
5 strict pull-ups


The snatch went well today.  For some reason, even though I think its a more complicated move than C and J, I have the timing down on it.  (80% was about 35 lbs) Clean and jerks were okay...my shoulder started to hurt, even with better technique, when I got to 80%. (I think around 45 lbs) I didn't finish my last set.  Front squats were good.  I felt good doing my 80% and 3 reps was easy. (80% was 80 lbs) My 5 pull-ups were done with the light green band, and they were no problem.  


** I attempted a boy push-up today after the wod, and I've pretty much got it.  I did 2 in a row. I am so excited about this!**  


We didn't eat before the wod because there was a Meatluck today at the gym.  There was so much food and we brought pulled pork.  After class I had some of that, so I'm still paleo friendly.  I think I'll have to start tweaking my food more this week...last week wasn't my best efforts.  I may have to cut back on fruit...which will be hard.  We'll see.  In spite of that, I weighed myself first thing when I got up this morning......146.4!  So, not as great as last week, but still in the right direction.  I'll take it.  


I woke up to the scent of that pork shoulder just cooking away in its juices! I shredded it with a couple forks and threw it back in the crock pot on the warmer setting.  


I had half of a stuffed pepper before CF because I was already starving. It held me over just enough to get through the workout. I have a hard time eating before working out. I'm nervous to eat anything more than a very light snack within an hour or and hour and a half of working out or training.


Todays lifts went pretty well. I was working with this guy Joel (I think that was his name) who had been out since late September. So he was working at my weight which I'm assuming by the look of it wasn't near his previous maxes at all... Anyhow, he had been around WCCF since it opened and seemed to be pretty adept at the Oly lifts.  He was helpful in pointing out small flaws I was making and offering corrections.  I have this weird thing with being coached... 


I think I am very coachable, however I have to be able to see that person as a coach. If I label them in my head as a peer, it's tough for me to take the advice. It's not that I don't, it's just that I'm more skeptical or resistant or something... if that makes sense. My coaches in high school, my thai boxing instructor, my jiu jitsu coaches... they all are my coach I can make that distinction and usually don't question it in my head. At BTB or Alliance, I could see some of the people as a "coach" others as peers that had good advice, while others maybe just as peers. When I moved here, I guess I brought with me a bit of an ego I guess. I thought oh I'm a purple belt from Alliance, in the case of jiu jitsu, or I've been CFing for a couple years and have my Lev 1 and my Lev 1 USAW cert for CF.  I have tried really hard to be humble about it and check my ego at the door. I struggle sometimes but think I do a pretty good job at it with the trainers at wccf. But still, when someone I don't know is giving me advice, I guess it's hard to not be skeptic/resistant for me. But I also know he was right and was offering good tips and I listened. So I guess today was progress in that regard.  


My lifts (in kg) were as follows:


Snatch: 32, 40, 45, 51, 51, 45
C&J: 45, 54, 63, 72, 72, 63
F.S.: 52, 62, 73, 83, 83, 73
Strict 5x5 pullups. I did all but that last 6 Chest-to-Bar. 3 in the last set were with a 50lb DB (obvi not chest to bar)


So apparently my right foot likes to turn out on its own just before the catch on both oly lifts. I had been loosely aware of that but didn't think anything of it til today. I got called out by both Joel (during the snatch) and Cori during my C&J.  I also am pulling the bar away from me during the snatch. I got to see some video of me today and have to work on pulling the bar back in before the 2nd pull then violently explode upwards (without jumping persay). So I have some things to work on...




The Meat-Luck was awesome! Our pulled pork got a lot of compliments and I thought it turned out very good.  My favorite was Cori and Doogie's brisket. It had this awesome zip to it (probably from a ton of salt haha) but I thought it was great. 



No comments:

Post a Comment